The issue you are seeing is a result of software incompatibility between older versions of Starry Night and Quicktime version 7.4+. You can get SN running again by reverting to an older version quicktime (7.3.1)
The Problem (different manifestations):
- Missing object catalogues from the Options tab -> Deep Space menu
- Objects don't show up in searches, e.g. can't find ISS using the Find tab
- Objects failing to display in the sky even though images are in the appropriate Sky Data folders
- All-Sky Image mosaic does not display or does not show up under Options tab -> Stars menu
- Corrupted or shortened filenames in the Favourites menu and under Options tabs
- Inability to find ASCOM telescope drivers and plugins
- Missing portions of the left-hand tabbed menu
- Problems with panoramic horizons
The Solution For Starry Night 6: Update to the latest version. Look in Help (Starry Night drop down menu) ---> Check For Updates
or go here: http://www.starrynightsupport.com/softwareupdates
Note: Starry Night College 6 must check for updates through the Help menu.
The Solution For Starry Night 5, 4, 3: (revert to Quicktime 7.3.1):
1) Remove Quicktime from your computer by clicking on Start -> Programs -> Quicktime and clicking the QuickTime uninstaller.
2) Open your Windows control panel and use the add/remove programs utility to remove any remnants of Quicktime from the registry.
3) Download Quicktime 7.3.1 from the following link, and install it:
If you suddenly started seeing these problems, QuickTime may have automatically updated itself, or it may have updated as part of an iTunes update. This also occurs when installing Starry Night onto a new compute where current QT has already been installed.