I am using a Celestron Nexstar Evolution 8 HD w/ Star Sense, and connecting to it with Star Safari 5 for my android smart phone (Sony Xperia Z5 Premium).
When using my telescope in an Alt-Az Go To configuration, the Star Sense Auto Align functions properly. However, when using a wedge and trying to Auto Align, the alignment fails every time.
Here is my process:
- I make sure to properly configure the telescope settings in the app : Telescope > Setup > Scope Type = Celestron Wi-Fi, Mount Type = Equatorial GoTo (Fork)
- Turn on the scope and connect to the WiFi network.
- Select "Connect & Align"
- Go to the Celestron WiFi Telescope Setup and Control settings located in either the "scope setup" screen or the orange gear next to the alignment controls on the main screen.
- Ensure that both "Align Using StarSense Auto" and "Align Using Wedge Align" are selected.
- Set the scope to the base position using hash marks on mount (tube faced south and parallel to the base, pointing to celestial equator)
- Press the "OK" button to begin alignment.
What I've noticed:
- The sky display often starts with showing the scope pointed north (which is strange, I assume it would default to South)
- The path that the scope slews along is much different than the one used when performing auto alignment with hand controller.
- The sky display, even after alignment is in 2nd or 3rd stage seems off, even though it finds 100 stars and successfully solves plate.
- The alignment fails every time, giving the error "Alignment pointing error is too large. Please try another Alignment."
- The "Mount Type" setting seems to reset itself to Alt-Az GoTo after connecting to the scope and at different times along the process.
- Using the hand controller to perform the auto align works great every time.
- I have verified that my phone has the right time and location.
- I have tried using the same process with Sky Portal and have not had success with that either.
Thank you for your help,