Invitation to OS X Users:
Everyone here in the Community Forums (with an Mac OS X computer) is invited to participate in the SS6 for OS X beta-testing cycle :)
Your beta-testing feedback, whatever you can contribute, will be invaluable to the success of SkySafari 6 for OS X!
Please note if you participated in the SS6 iOS beta testing you are ALREADY officially approved for SS6 OS X beta testing. You can download the beta now. But please still read completely through this post to understand what we are doing differently (and to remind yourself about our process again) for this round of beta testing.
How to Apply:
Please reply here (in a comment below) if you can help us at this time.
And please outline your experience with SkySafari, including what versions of SkySafari you have run previously, what telescopes you are controlling, what kind of astronomy you are involved in, if you are a power user, etc. Please do not post requests to join the SS6 beta in other forums, as they will not be accepted. If you're reading this you can reply here.
When you are approved to participate you will see and have access to the SS6 OS X Beta Testing forum. The SS6 Beta Testing forum is hidden until you are approved to participate.
When you are approved, you will be notified via an email and then you will be able to both view the SS6 OS X Beta Testing forum and download the SS6 OS X beta app.
Please note, not all applicants will be immediately included in the beta-testing. So, if you apply and do not hear back please be patient.
*** If accepted to the SS6 OS X beta-testing forum please do NOT report bug/issues on this post. See below for workflow ***
As you find bugs/issues in SkySafari 6 please first review the current discussions in the SS6 OS X Beta Testing forum (which is hidden until you are approved). If your bug/issue has already been identified please comment on the existing post.
If your bug/issue has not been identified please create a NEW post in the SS6 OS X Beta Testing forum.
For clarity regarding this bug reporting process please see the post "Example Bug Report" (hidden until you are officially approved)
Please do NOT submit tickets with bugs/issues.
How To Follow The SS6 Beta Forum:
As part of your participation we would appreciate that you follow the SS6 OS X Beta Testing forum. Following a forum means you will receive email updates when anyone creates a NEW post or comments/replies to one of the existing posts. This is important for two reasons.
- Following the forum ensures you receive email updates regarding all admin communications to the beta testers. If admins make a post asking for assistance you will get an email update with that post.
- Following is also very important so that you have an on-going status report regarding bugs/issues identified, confirmed, requiring further testing, or have been resolved, etc. This will help you stay on top of the overall process, and ensure you are not duplicating efforts where issues are already known and resolved.
To FOLLOW the SkySafari 6 Beta Testing community forum please see here. Note, you must have been approved first, and have access to the forum before you can follow it.
Replying to Email Updates:
When you follow the SS6 OS X Beta Testing forum you will receive email updates regarding new posts (and comments, if opted for). Please do not reply to email updates using the "Reply" function. Please first use the "View the comment" link to open the community forum post, then reply to the post.
This point is crucially important - so please understand the image below (this an example of an SS6 OS X Beta Testing email update as seen using my web browser Gmail email account).
If you use the email update "Reply" function your reply will NOT be added to the community forum discussion.
Downloading the SS6 OS X Beta app:
In order to participate you will need to download the SS6 OS X app from the download link in this forum post here (note, approval is required first):
About Updating the Beta:
When you run the beta app, it will look for a newer version and notify you if there is a newer version available. There is a button to download the newer version but you will be responsible for unzipping and copying the new beta app to your OSX / Applications folder (and please delete the previous version as well)
How to Use the Community Forums:
For clarity regarding how to use the Community Forums (posting/replying/following) please see here:
SS6 OS X Beta Testing Summarized
- SIGN IN or create account on this Simulation Curriculum support website.
- REPLY to this post (in a comment below) in order to apply to the SS6 OS X Beta Testing group.
- When approved to join the beta testing, download, unzip and copy the beta app to your OS X Applications folder.
- Previous SS6 iOS beta testers are ALREADY approved (you can go get the beta now!).
- FOLLOW the main SS6 OS X beta forum to be kept up-to-date of any new posts (bug reports) and discussions thereafter (you get email updates).
- REVIEW previous beta testing discussions before posting your bug report.
- COMMENT on bugs already reported.
- Create NEW posts for bugs not yet reported.
- Follow the bug reporting GUIDELINES when reporting or commenting on bugs.
- Do NOT reply/comment to community forum email updates. Instead, VIEW the post first, then comment in the forum.
- Post any questions, about anything to do with the beta testing, in the beta forum. We will reply to you there.
Please also read the What's New and What We Need Tested post here (approval required):
We are very excited about the up and coming release of SS6 and we're looking forward to working closely with everyone involved in the beta testing.
Again, this is only for Mac OS X computers, at this time.
Please let me know if you have any questions.