Invitation To Everyone:
Everyone here in the Community Forums is invited to participate in Starry Night beta testing!
Your beta-testing feedback, whatever you can contribute, will be invaluable to the success of Starry Night!
Please read completely through this post to understand what we are doing for this round of Starry Night beta testing (this is a little different again from how we have done it before)
To beta test Starry Night you need 2 accounts!
- support.simulationcurriculum.com account - for providing feedback, reporting bugs, in the Starry Night beta community forum.
- beta.starrynight.com account - for downloading the beta.
How to Apply - The 2 Part Process:
- Please reply here (in a comment below) if you can help us at this time. And please outline your experience with Starry Night (or SkySafari), including what versions of Starry Night (SkySafari) you have run previously, what telescopes you are controlling, what kind of astronomy you are involved in, if you are a power user, etc. Importantly, your reply shows us that you have registered a support.simulationcurriculum.com account.
- Visit the following URL and fill out the application webform: https://beta.starrynight.com/reqreg.php Complete the registration process, choosing a password, and then you can access the beta downloads. If you are already a registered Starry Night beta tester then please DO NOT fill out the web form again - you are pre-approved. However, you must still reply here (in a comment below) if you can help us at this time.
*** IMPORTANT*** In your comment below please state whether you have previously beta tested Starry Night 7; i.e, whether you already have the beta.starrynight.com account.
*** IMPORTANT*** If you're testing the beta on a computer that is also using Starry Night for important astronomy research please be careful, and understand what you are doing - if you are not sure what you are doing, please ask for my assistance first!
*** IMPORTANT*** I don't want anyone to lose any important research. So, please back up your work before you begin!
*** IMPORTANT*** Please know that if you are installing and running both a beta version and a public version of the same SN7 program then changes you make & save to one program will also affect the other program. This will happen because both programs will be sharing the same preferences folder. So, it would probably be best if you download a different beta program than the one you currently use; i.e. if you are running Pro Plus 7 (public) then download and test Pro 7 (beta).
When you are approved to participate, notified via an email, you will be able to download the beta and also have access to the Starry Night Beta Testing forum. The Starry Night Beta Testing forum is hidden until you are approved to participate.
*** If accepted to the Starry Night beta-testing forum please do NOT report bug/issues on this post. See below for workflow ***
As you find bugs/issues in Starry Night please first review the current discussions in the Starry Night Beta Testing forum (which is hidden until you are approved). If your bug/issue has already been identified please comment on the existing post.
If your bug/issue has not been identified please create a NEW post in the Starry Night Beta Testing forum.
For clarity regarding this bug reporting process please see the post "Example Bug Report" (hidden until you are officially approved)
Please do NOT submit tickets with bugs/issues.
How To Follow The Starry Night Beta Forum:
As part of your participation we would appreciate that you follow the Starry Night Beta Testing forum. Following a forum means you will receive email updates when anyone creates a NEW post or comments/replies to one of the existing posts. This is important for two reasons.
- Following the forum ensures you receive email updates regarding all admin communications to the beta testers. If admins make a post asking for assistance you will get an email update with that post.
- Following is also very important so that you have an on-going status report regarding bugs/issues identified, confirmed, requiring further testing, or have been resolved, etc. This will help you stay on top of the overall process, and ensure you are not duplicating efforts where issues are already known and resolved.
To FOLLOW the Starry Night Beta Testing community forum please see here. Note, you must have been approved first, and have access to the forum before you can follow it.
Replying to Email Updates:
When you follow the Starry Night Beta Testing forum you will receive email updates regarding new posts (and comments, if opted for). Please do not reply to email updates using the "Reply" function.
Please first use the "View the comment" link to open the community forum post, then reply to the post.
This point is crucially important - so please understand the image below.
If you use the email update "Reply" function your reply will NOT be added to the community forum discussion.
Downloading the Starry Night Beta app:
In order to participate you will need to download the Starry Night app from beta.starrynight.com (note, your application approval is required first)
About Updating the Beta:
When you run the beta app, it will look for a newer version and notify you if there is a newer version available.
How to Use the Community Forums:
For clarity regarding how to use the Community Forums (posting/replying/following) please see here:
Starry Night Beta Testing Summarized
- SIGN IN or create account on this Simulation Curriculum support website.
- REPLY to this post (in a comment below) in order to apply to the Starry Night Beta Testing group.
- Apply via the https://beta.starrynight.com/reqreg.php web form to join the beta testing.
- When approved to join the beta testing, download the beta from beta.starrynight.com
- Previous Starry Night beta testers are ALREADY pre-approved (you can go get the beta now!) but you must still reply in a comment below.
- FOLLOW the main Starry Night beta forum to be kept up-to-date of any new posts (bug reports) and discussions thereafter (you get email updates).
- REVIEW previous beta testing discussions before posting your bug report.
- COMMENT on bugs already reported.
- Create NEW posts for bugs not yet reported.
- Follow the bug reporting GUIDELINES when reporting or commenting on bugs.
- Do NOT reply/comment to community forum email updates. Instead, VIEW the post first, then comment in the forum.
- Post any questions, about anything to do with the beta testing, in the beta forum. We will reply to you there.
Please also read the What's New and What We Need Tested post here (approval required):
Please let me know if you have any questions.