A few thoughts on how to improve observation lists. I'm currently split between Sky Safari 5 Pro, Astroplanner (which is basically unsupported), and an Excel spreadsheet. Idea is to use my Mac to plan lists and my dedicated red filmed iPad for the field. Goal is to both plan observation sessions and also have a database of all my observations across plans, so I know if I've viewed an object before, and also allow me to have multiple observations of the same object. Think Messier list. I want to view them all so I create an observation list to track which one's I've seen. First night out I tick off M42 and add my observation notes. Following week I view M42 again and have no place to add that observation since it's already used on my Messier List. The following are more improvements I loved to see in SS6P.
- Ability to combine, separate out observation lists
- Dynamic creation of lists (ex: Messier Objects visible from my location between these hours)
- Observations aren't tied to list, but is a separate database. This way I can have a Master list (ex: Messier objects) and can mark objects observed when I used a smaller list for a specific observing session
- Track specific observation sessions (ex: set conditions, location, equipment for the session which would automatically be used for each observation during the session time)
- Observations are stored in a separate database (see above on lists). Can quickly see all observations, or filter by time, location, equipment, object type, etc.
- Pre-fill observation info from last observation (ex: scope, eyepiece, conditions)
- Add rating system to each object, could be as simple as thumbs up or thumbs down
- Have a check box for did not see (failed attempt)
- Additional attributes stored on the object, conditions, or observation (moon age, position, object position based on time of observation, magnification used, TFoV, exit pupil, etc.
Syncing - I know this can be tricky, as things can get out of sync, but use iCloud (or custom built storage solution) to store master records and sync up and down is doable. Maybe add this capability as a subscription feature. I know I'd be willing to pay extra for this if the above capabilities were added.