Starry Night 6 is fully compatible with Windows 7.
There are however two areas where people have encountered some issues:
Installing Starry Night (downloadable versions):
Please see this KB article here: https://support.simulationcurriculum.com/entries/21202443-downloadi...
Installing Starry Night (disc based versions):
1) If your disc only lists Windows XP and Mac OSX as supported operating systems download and install the latest version of Java: http://www.java.com/
2a) If your Starry Night disc lists Vista on it as one of the supported operating systems it will also work on Windows 7, and you do not need any special installation instructions. Simply insert the disc and let the installer run.
2b) If your disc only lists Windows XP and Mac OSX as supported operating systems, the following compatibility mode instructions are required, as you don't have a Windows 7 compatible installer.
To use an older installer on Windows 7, follow these steps (java must already be installed - see above):
- With the disc in the drive, click Start -> Computer.
- Double-click on your optical (DVD/CD) drive to view its contents. (Ignore or cancel the program if it starts to install.)
- Right-click on the Setup or Install icon and choose "Troubleshoot Compatibility."
- Follow the instructions on screen. If you are asked for a compatibility mode, choose "Windows XP."
The program should now successfully install.
If you want to install older Starry Night software (version 5 or earlier) on Windows 7, you can try this same method.
Graphics card drivers.
If you have upgraded to Windows 7 on a computer that used to run Windows XP or Vista, you may need to update the driver software that controls your graphics hardware. Update your driver using the instructions in this KB article here: https://support.simulationcurriculum.com/entries/20282276-graphics-card-drivers
Note that if your graphics hardware is not supported on Windows 7, the manufacturer may not provide drivers for that operating system at all. As a last ditch effort, you can try installing Window Vista graphics card drivers if Windows 7 drivers are not available, but there is no guarantee that they will work.
You can also try visiting the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility site to get more information on drivers and hardware compatibility.