This section contains a copy of the SkySafari manual. This manual is also included with the SkySafari app, under the Help section. Sometimes it's convenient to have the manual on a separate screen while you're using the app, so we've included it here as well.
This manual applies to all three versions of SkySafari 5 - basic, Plus, and Pro. The manual notes where the versions differ. Some features are only present in SkySafari Plus and Pro.
Sky Chart & Toolbar
This section describes the main Sky Chart window, and the functions of the main toolbar buttons below it. The Scope button (for telescope control) is only present in SkySafari Plus and Pro, and is described under the Scope Control section below.
- Introduction - an overview of the apps, and what's different about them.
- Sky Chart - how to navigate the main sky chart view.
- Search - how to find and choose objects of interest.
- Object Info - provides detailed data and descriptions for objects.
- Center - centers the selected object in the sky chart.
- Time Flow - easy animation controls to show how the sky changes over time.
- Scope Control - telescope controls; only found in SkySafari Plus and Pro.
- Orbit - lets you leave Earth behind, and orbit the Sun, other Solar System objects, and even nearby stars.
- Compass & Gyro - turns the compass (or gyro) on or off; not present if your device has no compass.
- Night Vision - turns night vision mode on or off.
- SkyWeek - shows Sky & Telescope magazine's weekly guide to events in the night sky.
- Tonight At A Glance - provides a concise summary of what is happening in the sky.
A detailed guide to the many settings screens available in SkySafari. All of these settings are available under the Settings button in the main toolbar.
- Date & Time - lets you simulate the sky at any date/time in the past or future.
- Location - moves you to any location on the Earth's surface.
- Coordinates - precisely set the direction and field of view of the sky chart.
- Precession - provides fine control over SkySafari's celestial computations; only in SkySafari Plus and Pro.
- Formats - controls how date, time, and celestial coordinates are displayed; only in SkySafari Plus and Pro.
- Appearance - controls the "look and feel" of the app, including Night Vision, and sounds.
- Horizon & Sky - gives you options to display the local horizon, including daylight.
- Solar System - options for displaying planets, moons, asteroids, comets, and spacecraft.
- Stars - options for the display of stars.
- Deep Sky Objects - display options for star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies.
- Milky Way - controls display of the Milky Way - Earth's home galaxy.
- Constellations - display options for constellations.
- Grids & Reference - display for celestial coordinate grids and reference points; only in SkySafari Plus and Pro.
- Save & Restore Settings - easily save and recall your sky chart settings, and email them to friends.
- Storage - store observing lists and saved settings files in the cloud.
This section describes the user interface for the telescope control feature of SkySafari Plus and Pro. The Scope Control view is available in the main toolbar; the telescope communication and display settings are located in the Settings view.
- Scope Control - the telescope control interface, available in the main sky chart toolbar.
- Scope Setup - tells SkySafari what kind of telescope you have, and how you're connected.
- Scope Display - controls how SkySafari shows your scope's field of view in the sky chart.
- Scope Equipment - enter information about your telescopes, eyepieces, finder scope, and/or camera(s).
- Celestron Wi-Fi - control compatible Celestron Wi-Fi telescopes.
Settings Files & Observing Lists
This section describes the types of files that you can generate with SkySafari. Settings files are saved and restored in the Settings view. Observing lists, found only in SkySafari Plus and Pro, are created under the Search view.
- Settings Files - let you save and recall your sky chart settings, and email them to friends.
- Observing Lists - plan and record an evening's observations; only in SkySafari Plus and Pro.
- Storage - iCloud Drive and Google Drive cloud synced storage
Join an astronomy club or go to a star party!
- Night Sky Network - an on-line directory of astronomy events like star parties, club meetings, and public lectures taking place across the United States.