Invitation To Android Users:
Everyone here in the Community Forums (with an Android device) is invited to participate in the beta-testing cycle :)
Your beta-testing feedback, whatever you can contribute, will be invaluable to the success of SkySafari 7 for Android!
IMPORTANT: Beta Test User Requirements:
- Email requirements: Users need a Google Account (@gmail.com) or a G Suite account to join in the beta test (see below).
- Support Account requirements: Users must have Simulation Curriculum Support Account and must reply to this post; i.e. you are logged in to this website (see below).
How To Apply - 2 Parts:
- You must enter your @Gmail or G Suite email address (the one you use to login to Google Play to buy/download apps for your Android device) into the red bar on the bottom of this webpage. Note, the red bar can be hidden if you have any kind of ad-blocking plugin installed.
- Please also reply to this post (in a comment below) if you can help us at this time. Please outline your experience with SkySafari, including what versions of SkySafari you have run previously, what telescopes you are controlling, what kind of astronomy you are involved in, if you are a power user, etc.
Failing to follow the 2 step application process above will exclude you from the beta testing cycle.
When Accepted To Beta Test:
When you are accepted, you will be notified via an email (sent to your @Gmail/G Suite email address) that you are able to download the SS7 Android beta app from Google Play.
Accessing The SS7 Android Beta Testing Forum: When you are accepted you will see and have access to the SS7 Android Beta Testing forum. The SS7 Beta Testing forum is hidden until you are accepted.
Please note, not all applicants will be immediately included in the beta-testing. So, if you apply and do not hear back please be patient.
*** If accepted to the SS7 beta-testing forum please do NOT report bug/issues on this post. See below for workflow ***
As you find bugs/issues in SkySafari 7 please first review the current discussions in this beta-testing forum (which is hidden until you are invited). If your bug/issue has already been identified please comment on the existing post. If your bug/issue has not been identified please create a NEW post in the SS7 Android Beta Testing forum.
For clarity regarding this bug reporting process please see the Example Bug Report (hidden until you are officially invited)
Please do not submit tickets with bugs/issues.
How To Follow The SS7 Beta Forum:
As part of your participation we would appreciate that you follow the SS7 Android Beta Testing forum. Following a forum means you will receive email updates when anyone creates a NEW post or comments/replies to one of the existing posts. This is important for two reasons.
- Following the forum ensures you receive email updates regarding all admin communications to the beta testers. If admins make a post asking for assistance you will get an email update with that post.
- Following is also very important so that you have an on-going status report regarding bugs/issues identified, confirmed, requiring further testing, or have been resolved, etc. This will help you stay on top of the overall process, and ensure you are not duplicating efforts where issues are already known and resolved.
To FOLLOW the SkySafari 7 Beta Testing community forum please see here. Note, you must have been invited first, and have access to the forum before you can follow it.
Replying to Email Updates:
When you follow the SS7 Beta Testing forum you will receive email updates regarding new posts (and comments, if opted for). Please do not reply to email updates using the "Reply" function. Please first use the "View the comment" link to open the community forum post, then reply to the post.
This point is crucially important - so please understand the image below (this an example of an SS7 Beta Testing email update as seen using my web browser Yahoo email account).
If you use the email update "Reply" function your reply will not be added to the community forum discussion.
How to Use the Community Forums:
For clarity regarding how to use the Community Forums (posting/replying/following) please see here:
How To Sign Into The Community Forums (Required For Posting And Replying To Topics)
Browsers Supported by Simulation Curriculum Community Forums (Cookies Must Be Enabled)
How To Use Your New Community Support Forums
Beta Testing Summarized:
- SIGN IN or create account on this Simulation Curriculum support website.
- SUBMIT your @Gmail.com/G Suite email address into the red bar at the bottom of this page.
- REPLY to this post (in a comment below) in order to apply to the SS7 Beta Testing group.
- When invited to join the beta testing visit the one of the Google Play URL(s) that we share with you. See X marks the spot (above).
- FOLLOW the main SS7 Android beta forum to be kept up-to-date of any new posts (bug reports) and discussions thereafter (you get email updates).
- REVIEW previous beta testing discussions before posting your bug report.
- COMMENT on bugs already reported.
- Create NEW posts for bugs not yet reported.
- Follow the bug reporting GUIDELINES when reporting or commenting on bugs.
- Do NOT reply/comment to email updates. Instead, VIEW the post first, then comment.
- Post any questions, about anything to do with the beta testing, in the SS7 Android beta testing forum. We will reply to you there.
We are very excited about the long-awaited up and coming release of SS7 for Android and we're looking forward to working closely with everyone involved in the beta testing.
Please let me know if you have any questions.